Thursday, March 1, 2012

Slow and Steady Wins the Race

Old adage, but timeless in its truth.

Sorry for the lack of updates, friends.  Where does time go when it flies by you, anyway?  I may have to ponder that and write a story.

It's no secret that I've been revising my latest book, Woven.  Between moments of crazy inspiration and freaking-out meltdowns where I want to chuck the manuscript across the room I've been managing to get some revising done.

Lest you think this is an update post on a Thursday (silly people), here's where I'm going with this.

As I waffled back and forth between whether I could save the manuscript as I'd written it (and revise it from there) or had to scrap the entire thing and start over from word 1 with a blank document, I didn't do anything drastic.  Sure I created a new draft, blank of all words, and saved it to my computer separate from the old drafts.  But I do that on every manuscript I've written and revised.  Which admittedly is only one other manuscript at this point.

Documents got renamed, from Woven to Draft XYZ and back again, words were written, words were deleted, words were copied and pasted.  But all that slowness, all that time I spent waffling, have proven beneficial.  No, I haven't made a dent in my TBR pile.  (In fact I just blew that out of the water last night by downloading a bunch of ebooks that were free.  Still not on the e-book bandwagon, but whatever.)

Slow and steady wins the race.  I had a draft that was vastly short of the mark where word count is concerned and one which I alternately wanted to save and throw out the window.  I still have moments of waffling, but by going slow I've allowed the book to work its way back into my good graces.

The other bonus to slow and steady?  You might save yourself some money.  (If you outline and revise the way I do, which I've talked about in great detail before here on the blog.)  I printed out my detailed revision outline that I created based on the last draft of the book.  Sadly, this revision is making that outline pretty much moot and I ended up not using it after I paid to have it printed and I spent a couple hours marking it up.

So, save yourself some angst and some money and take it slow if you can when it comes to your revisions.

Updates to resume regularly next week, I promise.

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes I get frustrated when the process seems to be slow, but patience is a virtue, right? I'm glad you are making progress

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patience is indeed a virtue. One which the powers that be think I still need a lot of work on.

    ReplyDelete

All content copyright of the author. Please ask permission before re-printing.

Fair use quotations and links do no require prior consent of the author.