Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Notes from the Bandwagon

Hi all! Well, here it is, the place for me to answer your questions.

Hope you enjoy the brief glimpse into my weird ways.

OK, here it is. The answers to all your questions!

Liza and Tess both asked, “Why the anonymity?” (or roughly that).
This is an interesting one. There are really two reasons for it. 1- I haven’t decided yet whether I’ll publish under a pseudonym or use my real name. 2- Being anonymous lets me feel comfortable asking the TSTL questions. (Like asking what TSTL means. I know now, but I did have to ask.) Thanks girls!

Lazy Writer asked, “How do you manage to keep up with all those different writing projects? My head is spinning just looking at your progress bars.”
Really, I don’t keep up with all of them. If I write any poetry on any given day, I write it in bed before I turn out the lights, or it comes to me in the middle of the night. When I write during the day my focus is on Oracle’s Promise. The only reason that my poetry projects are so far is that I was working on them back in January through May, when I was still in school and not working on Oracle’s Promise. A Rose by Any Other Name was written earlier this year when I was still in school as well. Painted Silence was the class project for my poetry workshop so that one’s been complete for a few months. Hope that helps your head stop spinning!

Alissa asked, “What was the first story you ever wrote about?”
Honestly, the first story I ever wrote, that I can recall, was Truth or Dare, which I’m serializing on the blog for Fiction Friday. The first word of fiction I ever wrote was when I started working on Oracle’s Promise in high school. I did some research though, and the first “story” I ever wrote would have been two articles in my middle school’s newspaper when I was in 8th grade. That year I was a reporter, photographer, and did layout for the paper. The first creative thing of mine I could find was from 9th grade. It’s a collection of poetry, most of which is complete garbage, that we put together for ourselves in honors English.

Glynis asked, “When are you at your best, writing wise?”
Midday or early evening. My circadian rhythm dips drastically around 2 then picks up again around 4.

Elana asked, “What genres do you write? How many complete novels do you have?”
I write fantasy, romance, and poetry. I might be adding another genre someday. (More on that in WiP Wednesday.) As for the completed novels, I have one. A Rose by any Other Name I am told is a genre romance length. (Roughly 65,000 words at the moment.) Yes, I’m a failure for taking so many years to finish one stinking novel. Oh well.

Sarah Simas asked, “What is your penname? With so many WiPs one is bound to be pubbed soon—I wanna know who I can google to find the new release!”
You would think that, wouldn’t you? But sadly, the only thing close to release is Painted Silence and that is currently submitted to a contest. I won’t know the outcome of that until November. If I win y’all will definitely know. And it’s submitted under my real name so if I win y’all get to see me come out of hiding. As for penname, I haven’t decided on one yet. But I’ll let you all know if I decide to publish under a pseudonym and what that will be.

Tess asked, “Where do you fall in your family as far as oldest, youngest, middle child?”
I’m the youngest of 2. My brother and I are roughly 7 years apart for a number of reasons, which I won’t go into here.

Tess also asked, “pepperoni or tomato basil pizza?”
Ooh, good question. Definitely have to go with pepperoni on this one. I was the world’s pickiest eater growing up. I still am pretty picky. And I’m weird. I hate tomatoes because of their texture, but I’ll eat ketchup and pizza sauce (as long as it’s not overwhelmingly tomato-y). I hate onions, but I love onion rings. I dislike coconut, but I adore Red Lobster’s coconut shrimp bites. (Same goes for shrimp.)

Fiction Groupie asked, “If you could only listen to one CD for the rest of your life, which would it be?”
It would have to be the compilation CD I made in iTunes combining my faves from movie and TV soundtracks with a dash of country thrown in.

Strange Fiction asked me to define “horse property.”
Well, SF lives on a ranch so she has real horse property. But for living in the last rural vestige of the valley in which I live, horse property means that one can legally have four horses if they live on 1 acre of land. And the city I live in requires all lots to be a minimum of 1 acre. Horse property means to me that you can look out your window and see your horses or you can at least walk a little ways on your property and see horses. But everyone thinks of it differently.


Lady Glamis just asked me, "If you could live in one place where would it be? Would you have a big house or small?"

I'd have to answer New York. And I'd have a nice place in a good part of the city.

Thanks for playing everyone!

P.S. Check the comments section for amendment to my answer to Alissa's question!

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for answering my question. I am flagging when you are peaking. I write best early in the morning until mid-day.
    Interesting answers to all :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so interesting to see the difference in cycles between me and my mom. And everyone's body rhythm is so different, I sometimes find it endlessly fascinating.

    I have to amend my answer to Alissa's question. For 9th grade honors English we had to write a children's book. Short, sweet, to the point book that we then read to each other and all the books got donated to somewhere. My brother illustrated it for me. I think it was about a horse. I can't quite recall it though. I got super-duper extra credit on the project because of the uber-fab illustrations. That would be the first story I wrote. Though I can't recall what it was about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like a pen name as well. My names too unique and a mouthful at that. I like the annonimity of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Failure??? Not a bit. You've written a novel! Be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great answers. Although you did cheat a bit on mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks NWA! I thought it was something like that, I've just never heard it called that before. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ack, Groupie! I totally missed putting in your link! I'm gonna go fix it right now!

    SF, horse property just sounds so rural, when really we live in suburbia that tries to be a rural town.


    Lady Glamis just asked me, "If you could live in one place where would it be? Would you have a big house or small?"

    I'd have to answer New York. And I'd have a nice place in a good part of the city.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool! Thanks for answering all these. It's really great to get to know morea bout you since you are so anonymous, hehe.

    And I don't think it's terrible at all that you took a long time to write one book. Didn't you see that I've spent 13 years on one? Now I'm slow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, all. Glam, don't feel bad about 13 years. You seem to have actually led a life outside of education for much of that time. Which I think is just as important as getting a novel written.

    ReplyDelete

All content copyright of the author. Please ask permission before re-printing.

Fair use quotations and links do no require prior consent of the author.