Thursday, March 31, 2011

Scandal!

Um, I'm really enjoying this romance novel that I'm writing.  I've just finished the first chapter.


Wait, what did I say?  I'm writing a romance novel?  Seriously?


Before y'all jump down my throat, I'm mostly being facetious here.  I've never read much straight-up romance.  There's always romance in the novels I read and write.  But it's rarely the sole focus of the story.

At the moment, I'm totally winging my plot.  I'm hoping that something will crop up that is an external conflict (other than the soon-to-come physical separation of MMC and FMC).  And maybe an internal conflict for the MMC.  I know what her internal conflict is going to be.  Sort of.  Maybe.

But I'm totally enjoying getting inside the MMC's head.  See, I wrote this story as a short a couple years ago.  But it was only from the FMC's side.  I'm noticing a lot of head-hopping as I go through that short story to find what can be copied over and what needs to remain firmly in the old and not the new.

There are some flashbacks, so it's sort of a dual timeline story but not.  The MMC and FMC knew each other when they were little, but then grew up apart.  (Reunion story of sorts.  Cliche?)

6 comments:

  1. It's a great plot tool. All stories are somewhat cliche, right? We make them unique with the characters. My two cents. I hope you enjoy writing this one. It's such a stray from sci-fi/fantasy! Do you plan on keeping any of those elements?

    And thank you so much for changing the font! I appreciate it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think is sounds fab! Personally, a little romance is always nice.

    Great blog, BTW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wrote a chick lit novel for NaNoWriMo a couple of years ago because I generally write fantasy and make fun of romance novels (not that that ever stops me from reading them). Anyway, it's become one of my favorite projects so now my writing philosophy is 'anything goes.'

    M.J. Fifield
    My Pet Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like romance more and more as I get older. I think it's awesome you're exploring other genres. I do that a lot, as you know, and it's quite freeing. Straight romance is cliched, period. It requires specific things to make it work, but that is not a bad thing at all, in my opinion. It is how you tell the story that makes all the difference. I hope I get to read it someday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww! :) Romance is probably never something I could write, my brain just doesn't work that way. I admire people who can, though. :) And reunions aren't cliche - at least not in a bad way. Plot points are rarely cliche in a bad way if they're well written. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are no original stories... or that's what they say. Not sure I believe that. It's fun to try out different genres, though! I tried to write a mystery... and there ended up being ghosts involved. I've had trouble separating myself from SF/Fantasy. It finds its way back into the story somehow. I hope you're having better luck keeping them separate... or maybe I don't. ;)

    ~Tara

    ReplyDelete

All content copyright of the author. Please ask permission before re-printing.

Fair use quotations and links do no require prior consent of the author.