Wednesday, April 10, 2013

WiP Wednesday 4/1-4/7

I'm finally coming off of my lengthy writing hiatus. It's slow-going as I have to retrain all my brain cells to actually come home from work for the day and work.

I spent quite a bit of time last week putting together background information for a new book idea. This book is set in the same universe as Heirs of the Seven Realms but it's independent of that trilogy and any of the other story ideas I've come up with. This is refreshing because it means I can write this book without feeling as though I'm counting my chickens before they hatch.

I also started revisions on Curse of Life last week. I say started because as I did so, I realized how bad this book is. This means I now have to rewrite the book rather than revise it. Yes, rewrite. It's that bad and in that much need of work. Simply deleting and rewriting passages won't do. There's a fundamental issue with character development at the start of my book and only rewriting will cure it.

So that's where my WiPs stand at the present moment. Knowing I need to rewrite CofL takes the pressure off getting the background stuff done for the other book. I won't start writing it until I get this rewrite done.

How are your WiPs going? Also, have any tips for getting started with a rewrite? I've never been here before. (More on that in Friday's post.)

2 comments:

  1. Yucky, rewrites must suck. I wish I could give you some advice, but I've always gone back and edited while I write the story, which negated the need for a rewrite at the end. I'd say... plot out what's wrong and try to focus on those key things. You might find that a lot more of the passages work =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip. I'm trying to stay focused on the issue, characterization, and we'll see. There are large chunks I'll be able to save I'm sure. I just need to find those.

      I can't edit as I go. Well, I could. I just can't let myself. That's how I end up trapped on draft 1 of a manuscript for 8 years. It's better for me if I just plow through the first draft then work on edits and revisions.

      Delete

All content copyright of the author. Please ask permission before re-printing.

Fair use quotations and links do no require prior consent of the author.