Monday, April 22, 2013

Author's Bookshelf: Transparent by Natalie Whipple

Guys, I'm nearly speechless as to what to say about this book. Speechless in a good way. I was lucky enough to score a chance to read an ARC of Natalie's book and wow am I ever glad I had this on my "wanna read" list.

I gave this book 5 stars on Goodreads. That's a pretty rare feat, for a book to earn that. I have to be utterly swept away and captivated. The book has to take me on the wildest roller coaster ride I've ever been on. (Not hard since I've never been on an actual roller coaster.)

And this book totally did. I loved this book so much. And I know the biggest reason.

It's a very personal reason but it's there. You see, Fiona felt so much like me. I think it might stem from the bullying I've already talked about on here. But there's more than that. There's this sequence where she has this beautiful dream that's so much what I dream about. And her feelings when she wakes up from it and talks about how many times she's had that. Well, that really hit home to me.

Like Fiona, I've never believed that anyone could find anything in me attractive. I'm not fishing for compliments here. I'm just stating a fact. I'm that girl who would ask "Is this some sort of sick joke?" if a cute guy hit on me. Well, if that cute guy even so much as said "Hi" I'd ask that. I really felt Fiona's insecurities when she first ends up in Arizona.

And the ending. Well, there are things in the ending I genuinely didn't see coming. True surprises to me. I cried, guys. I cried at the end. I haven't cried at a book's ending since the last Harry Potter book. Do you know how long that's been?

Transparent debuts May 21 and it should really be on everyone's list.

The details:

Transparent by Natalie Whipple

Natalie's website

Book blurb:

Plenty of teenagers feel invisible. Fiona McClean actually is.

An invisible girl is a priceless weapon. Fiona's own father has been forcing her to do his dirty work for years– everything from spying on people to stealing cars to breaking into bank vaults.

After sixteen years, Fiona's had enough. She and her mother flee to a small town, and for the first time in her life, Fiona feels like a normal life is within reach. But Fiona's father isn't giving up that easily.

Of course, he should know better than anyone: never underestimate an invisible girl.

If you have a question you're dying to ask me, something you want me to address either here on my site or over at the Dojo, send it to info(at)stephanie-mcgee(dot)com

Comments and other fun stuff can be sent to stephanie(at)stephanie-mcgee(dot)com

No comments:

Post a Comment

All content copyright of the author. Please ask permission before re-printing.

Fair use quotations and links do no require prior consent of the author.