Friday, October 12, 2012

Online Life and Writing

In this day and age, there's real life and online life. Often those intersect. Lately I've been trying to consolidate things online. I've changed my personal email and am currently in the process of migrating things over. Eventually the goal is to have everything related to my writing career's public life on the domain-specific emails I've set up and everything personal attached to my new personal email.

The only problem with that?

Over the course of a decade or more of the internet being prevalent, there's a lot out there, some I'm sure I'm forgetting. It might take me a year to get everything sorted out. Sigh.

My advice to anyone reading this is to start now, if you think you might ever need to change things around. I'm trying to consolidate my life and hopefully thus make even more time for writing.

The other bit of advice in all of this is to set up your blog under the name you want to write with and not some random thing like I did. Because I've been paying for that decision since the day I made it.

Consolidating emails and sorting out the tangled online web I've created is not an easy task. Save yourself the work and start out now.

If you have a question you're dying to ask me, something you want me to address either here on my site or over at the Dojo, send it to info(at)stephanie-mcgee(dot)com

Comments and other fun stuff can be sent to stephanie(at)stephanie-mcgee(dot)com

4 comments:

  1. You know, I blogged for a year under the name A book, a girl, a journey and changing it to ja-bennett.com was harder than I thought it would be. It's been ten months and I just now feel like I'm getting real followers back *sigh*
    Great advice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good advice! I finally just linked my blog to my michelledavidsonargyle.com address, so they look like the same site, pretty much. I've had a tough time separating my personal life and writing life, as you very well know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle. It is hard to separate the two, especially when you become friends with people outside of writing.

      Delete

All content copyright of the author. Please ask permission before re-printing.

Fair use quotations and links do no require prior consent of the author.