Wednesday, June 15, 2011

WiP Wednesday 6/15

High Fantasy Draft:

I still have no title for the book I'm writing.  But that's okay.

I'm loving this story.  It's kind of fun, trying to write a YA high/traditional fantasy.  I'm worried that my MC isn't sounding teen enough, but it isn't like she's a contemporary teen.  Her struggles will be the same, but I think I have a little room to play with the voice.  So, yeah.  We'll see.

I'm in chapter 3 right now.  I know, slow progress, right?  But the thing is this book only has 15 planned chapters.  (Thereabouts.)  So, there's wiggle room for adding chapters.

I'm writing this one longhand, off-computer.  Which has its plusses and minuses.  I've also decided not to type out what I write until I'm done with the book.  Or when I've filled a notebook full of written material.  I think I'll make that final call when I get there.  But I think I need to fill about 3 notebooks, minimum, to have the book at a decent word count when it's done.  Maybe four so there's room for making cuts that will be needed.

Lodestar


This book is in "let it sit" mode.  When I finish the first draft of the above book, I'll return to revising this one.  I had an excellent brainstorming session with a dear writer friend and now have some very good ideas for what to look at and change in the book.

It's weird, but I think I'm kind of excited to attack this round of revisions.

How are your WiPs going?

3 comments:

  1. I love that you're writing long hand. I find that it's easier to write uninhibited that way. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My WIP is slow but good.

    And I can't believe you write long hand. My hands would go dead after three pages! Way to go :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually do write longhand, Alena. A couple times I haven't but I write so much more without Twitter and the internet to distr...oh shiny!

    ReplyDelete

All content copyright of the author. Please ask permission before re-printing.

Fair use quotations and links do no require prior consent of the author.