Friday, April 15, 2011

Footloose and Fancy-free Friday 4/15

I know I said I was on blog hiatus until further notice.  But I am realizing that I have too much come to rely on blogging and the connection to the writing world it brings me to do that.  (For very long, at least.)

It's Friday.  I have a long list of things to do today.  But what do I want to do instead of all the things I should be doing?

I want to read and write.  I won a grab-bag of ARCs (plus a copy of Bright Young Things by Anna Godbersen) from a Twitter contest the other day.  Those arrived this week and they're so shiny sitting there on my counter right now.  I will read them.  This weekend perhaps.  Stay tuned.  (Also, I may be reinstating the Author's Bookshelf section of this blog.  Still debating that one.)

I'm more than halfway through my internship at the magazine.  I've been looking for a job to fill the space that my internship's end will leave.  Trying to find a job that I can use those skills gained at the magazine for is proving rather a challenge.  Prayers are appreciated as I need this to come together rather quickly.

On that note, I feel I should clarify.  Well, not really clarify so much as explain.  I have decided to no longer pursue any further schooling for the time being.  It's really time for me to be moving on.  I am at great risk of becoming a forever-student.  You know the type, always pursuing some sort of degree, racking up more debt or starving themselves in order to pay for everything.  I can totally sympathize with them.  I know what the real draw is in that.  (Aside from the wanting to learn more part.)

Someday I may decide to pursue a doctorate in English.  We shall see.  It's hard to know.  For now, I'm just trying to work up the courage to call the two literary agencies I sent my resume to.  I know following up is the protocol to follow, but it doesn't make it any easier for me to do.  I love being social, I love talking to people, but opening the door for major rejection like that over the phone is just something that never gets easier.

4 comments:

  1. Good luck finding a job. It's a tough situation to be in. And I hear you about the education thing. It took me almost 10 years off and on to get a BS degree in something that requires at least a Master's degree to be marketable. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a forever student too, once. I wish you luck on the next step in life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you get up your courage. I remember the starving student days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck! I'm also job hunting in the industry after interning so I know the stuggles. Wish you all the best!
    And I know what you mean. I have a list of things to do (uni assignments, job hunting) and all I want to do today is write.

    ReplyDelete

All content copyright of the author. Please ask permission before re-printing.

Fair use quotations and links do no require prior consent of the author.