Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Experimentation

I write fantasy.  It's as pure and simple as that.  I haven't been working on When the Star Fell at all in the last week.  I'm a bad ninja for it, I know.

But I have been writing.  And I've been writing romance.  There's this short story that's been sitting on my computer for a couple of years.  Maybe even longer.  I tinker with it from time to time.  Once I even deleted everything but the first paragraph and started over.

This is a very experimental piece for me.  I've written a novel that was romance, but not really.  Very close 3rd POV but never the guy's perspective.  All from her POV.  The fact that it was pretty much straight up romance without any sort of plot beyond getting those two together was an experiment for me.

I like me some action, something going on besides the budding feelings of attraction.  (One major reason I left every Twilight book so utterly disappointed.  There was all this buildup and then the action was glossed over in a paragraph or two.)

Maybe that's why the idea of reading romantic suspense pulls at me.  But I don't want to end up reading something totally blush-inducing because I'm branching out or anything like that so I've been staying away since reading my first romance novels.

Now I'm experimenting again.  This short story that's romance?  Instead of my usual (and the standard) 3rd person POV, I'm writing in first.  I'm writing two first person POVs, the MMC and FMC.  I'm liking the FMC's voice a lot more right now than the MMC's, but I think it's because I originally set out to tell the story from only her perspective.  Then he just sort of stepped up, grabbed the microphone, and just took over.  His parts aren't as long as the FMC's yet, but that could just be because he's got a secret that he's hinting at but if we stay too long in his head we might find it before he's ready to tell it.

So, yeah, experimenting is fun.  I'm writing this just for me.  Maybe I'd try to get it pubbed someday, but for now it's just for me.

And I'm enjoying it immensely.  I'd struggled to get this story off the ground until a couple of days ago and the story took this new direction.

7 comments:

  1. The closest I've gotten to romance is a paranormal romance. It makes us better writers to try something new, I think. Good luck with it!

    If you get a chance, please visit my blog. I'm holding a 500 follower contest. Great prizes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading more and more where romance is coming back. I think it's great to step out of the box. Good luck and have fun with your WIP.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Experimenting is good. My stories usually have romance in them, but they aren't romances all alone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Romance is tough for me. I like stories with a major romance, but like you I need the plot and the conflict to be the main focus. And, like you, I read and write almost exclusively fantasy. Romances in my stories tend to be very dark and damaged, often people that split up and find their way back together after they have broken one another's hearts. I hope someone other than me likes those...

    That said, I did write a YA romance short story. It was a fun experiment, and a story I keep coming back to. Something about it tugs at me. Really the romance is the only plot. It's fun for a change sometimes!! Sounds like yours is shaping up to be really interesting!

    ~Tara

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice to find another fantasy writer. my fantasy always has romance in it. and i love writing stories for myself. somehow it frees my muse and helps me with whatever i'm 2nd or 3rd drafting at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oops. i forgot to say that i loved your comment on Michelle Argyle's blog about shooting for the heavens. that's what led me here to visit.

    ReplyDelete

All content copyright of the author. Please ask permission before re-printing.

Fair use quotations and links do no require prior consent of the author.