Wednesday, December 15, 2010

WiP Wednesday 12/15

Nada.

Again.

This is, what, the third week in a row?  I'm really beginning to think it's an issue with the story.  I have the time, I want to write, but I just am not in love with this story.  I've lost the spark.

It was so much better as its short story version.  Now that I've tried to adapt it and expand it to be novel-length, it's not so interesting to me.

I know one problem is that there's too little narrative content and too little narrative time to sustain a book.  So I think I'm going to shelve the project and move on.  There are other story ideas in the queue waiting to be developed and written.  The characters are being very patient, but I definitely think it's time to let them have some time in the spotlight.

How are your WiPs going?

5 comments:

  1. Yup, as a writer you have to make these decisions--and aren't you glad you didn't spent 3 months working on it, only to come to this conclusion? Whew! Good for you. Some stories were meant to be short stories.

    My WIP is floundering as I run around doing blog socializing and holiday things. Hope to get to it later today, however. Half done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm struggling with the same thing. I don't think I'm totally in love with the project I'm working on. I like the characters and the plot is a good one. I'm not sure what isn't clicking for me. I'm taking a breather over the holidays and then I'll see what I feel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww I'm sorry to hear that you're breaking up with your WIP. It happens, though, and it's completely normal. I've always been curious what it would be like to turn a short story into a novel. At least you gave it your best shot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so need the spark to keep up with the WIP. Sorry the spark is gone. Hopefully you'll find it again soon (with this or another WIP!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope your next WiP in the queue has more zest to it. I think sometimes there's a temptation to hang on to a project that's just not working out, but it's much better creatively to let it go.

    ReplyDelete

All content copyright of the author. Please ask permission before re-printing.

Fair use quotations and links do no require prior consent of the author.