Friday, June 11, 2010

Footloose and Fancy-free Friday Randomness

Do you ever feel like you're standing on a seesaw that's perfectly level but will tip downward if you take one step forward?

I'm there right now.  My life is at this tipping point.  I'd say it's like a roller coaster, at the top of the biggest peak right before you plunge downward, but I've never ridden one.  (I'm a total chicken, I know.)

From here as the seesaw tips toward the ground it will either be incredibly exhilarating or totally intimidating.  Maybe a little of both.  I just hope someone doesn't come sit on the other side of the seesaw and then get off, launching me into the prickly bushes.

Or however that works to throw someone from a seesaw.  (It's been a good many years since I ever witnessed that.  I mean, I would never do something so childish.  *whistles*)

I'm kind of at a tipping point with my writing too.  See, I am soon to be at the point where I'll need beta readers and critique partners.  Neither of which I have.  This novel is one that I really do see myself carrying through the long haul of revisions.  I would love to query this novel, but I'm still uncertain whether this will be a saleable novel.  I'm worried that this will be another practice novel.

I'd love for it not to be, but the reality is that it just might.

What's your tipping point?  Do you feel like you're there?

12 comments:

  1. There's nothing wrong with practice novels! Elena Johnson (sp?), who recently got a book deal, admitted to writing 12 novels and only ever querying 2 of them before getting her agent and eventually her book deal.

    Practice novels make our writing stronger :)

    I think I hit small tipping points here and there, but I'm not sure I've hit the big one yet. In fact, I don't know if I'll even recognize it until after the fact! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the comment above that says there's nothing wrong with practice novels, but I also agree that if you don't want this to be a practice novel, it shouldn't be. If it's important to you, fight for it! I know it's easy to just tuck the next story in the drawer and say, "There are too many revisions necessary, that was just for practice." But we need practice revising and editing too, right? Before our debut novel, I mean.
    Like the series I'm writing now. I'm getting it published, God willing. If he's not, I won't, but I'll try just about everything I can first. :)
    So really it's up to you. Sometimes practice novels are great, sometimes a novel just needs editing. That's my humble (unpublished) opinion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live my writing life on that darn see-saw! And every book I write I wonder if it will be saleable. You are so not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm also on the verge of needing beta readers. It's funny how I can look at someone else's writing and tell what works and what doesn't, but it's hard to see in my own. Good luck with everything going on. Hope you don't end up in the prikly bushes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm getting pretty close to a tipping point, but I'm hanging in there.

    And by the way, don't despair about your book being a "practice" book. I wrote 7 books before I sold and now I'm rewriting and selling the old ones. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's great that you see yourself finishing this one. None of us can say which of our books will be "practice" ones so don't worry. Just celebrate your accomplishments in getting it done.

    I'm at a tipping point. My manuscript is done. My query letter is almost done. It's time to take the scary plunge. I plunge kind of slow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I hope you get some good beta readers! I'd offer but I'm way too overwhelmed right now. Good luck, and I don't go flying off the seesaw please!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel like I'm at the tipping point of a tipping point some days.

    And if you need a beta reader, when you're ready, I'll volunteer... I love beta reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sigh, welcome to my world. Almost everyday is like that for me - with writing, work, family, life in general.

    And don't stress, practice novels only make us better. With each work you complete, you improve and you will keep on doing so. It doesn't have to be practice though - but you'll never know unless you try. Don't give up.

    I wish you the best of luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Stephanie- I fell off the seesaw last week and it was UGLY!

    But now I'm back on. I think it's like a bike- scary at first, but you just have to do it.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I’m giving you a blogger award because your blog’s one of the best that I’ve read. :)
    http://parafantasy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

All content copyright of the author. Please ask permission before re-printing.

Fair use quotations and links do no require prior consent of the author.