Thursday, February 11, 2010

What Would You Do?

Here's today's scenario.

After you've been married to an immigrant for a while, say 8 years, you and your husband find out that he is a father.  The child was conceived well before you were married.  And he never knew about her for a variety of reasons.  Her mother is dead and the situation in their home country is not ideal and he helps bring her to the states.  You, though, thought he was having an affair.

What do you do when you find out the truth?  Do you welcome her into your home?  Or do you withdraw and question your marriage?

Since a lot of us write YA, spin this one to put your MC in the daughter's place.  How does she react to being uprooted and such?


And don't forget that there's still time to ask me a question.  I'll be writing up the post tonight so I'll need to cut off questions at 9 p.m.

5 comments:

  1. Wow I would be shocked, I would have so many questions, why didn't he mention her? Did he not know? I would question my marriage if he were to have lied, but then again I might just in general.

    Very interested!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The child was conceived well before you were married. And he never knew about her for a variety of reasons."

    If that child was alone in the world when her mother died, then that child would be living with us right now and would become a part of our family. If I love him, then I love his daughter, regardless if she's his from a relationship before me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If my husband hadn't known about the existence of the child and hadn't lied to me, I would do my best to deal and make her into a part of my family. I think I could manage -- children are easy to love!

    Interesting question!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Someone's been watching Castle. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great responses!

    GK, I have no idea what you're talking about. *whistles and walks slowly away* ;)

    ReplyDelete

All content copyright of the author. Please ask permission before re-printing.

Fair use quotations and links do no require prior consent of the author.