Thursday, October 1, 2009

I'll take a distillate of passion and lace, please

n. passion

3- the state or capacity of being acted on by external agents or forces
4aA emotion
4aB (plural) the emotions as distinguished from reason
4b intense, driving, or overmastering feeling or conviction
4c an outbreak of anger
5a ardent affaection
5b a strong liking or desire for or devotion to some activity, object, or concept
5c sexual desire
5d an object of desire or deep interest

I think that as authors we should be striving to balance each of these definitions in our writing.  We want all of them (okay, maybe not 4c or 5c) to be evoked in our readers.  4c and 5c are probably going to pop up in the lives of our characters though.

There's a whole article on this in the October issue of Writer's Digest.  I don't know if it's online yet or not, but if it is you should go check it out.

6 comments:

  1. Great post! Yes, passion is important on all those levels. Even 4c and 5c.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I am all about passion. There are enough people in this world living without passion. I sure as hell don't want to see that in my writing...unless I am chewing the hind end off a passionless character...even then... I'll be passionate about it:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It should be everywhere in your writing, because it shows that YOU are passionate about your work. And therefore your readers will be, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha... we can never have enough passion, whether in our writing or in our lives.

    As a fun writing exercise, it could be kind of neat/cool to write a short story/article/essay that used passion in each of its different senses.

    Cheers, Jill
    www.jilledmondson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, everyone, for your comments and such. Sorry I wasn't around much today.

    That would be interesting, Jill.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I don't have 4C and 5C then I might as well write YA.

    ReplyDelete

All content copyright of the author. Please ask permission before re-printing.

Fair use quotations and links do no require prior consent of the author.