Sunday, August 2, 2009

Author's Bookshelf 7/26-8/1

The Plot Thickens by Noah Lukeman

Location in Barnes & Noble: Reference (I think. I bought it online a few years ago and only just read it.)

Why I read it: I was working on plot this week. And finishing up character bios. And a whole bunch of other stuff. I don't know how useful it's going to end up being, but only time will tell.

Mini-review: A good, solid reference for writers. I found the first two chapters to be especially helpful, especially in writing my character biographies. The rest of it all felt a little long-winded. There were some typos which was frustrating to me.

Final review: Thumbs up if only for the first 2 chapters.

13 comments:

  1. Just stopped by...I was reading some of your other posts too.

    I'd definitely look up Jeff Gerke. His website (www.wherethemapends.com) is devoted to speculative fiction, and he has a writing book out, too. Not only is it fabulous, but it's really funny.

    Congrats on your word count...good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link. I'll check it out. Hope you enjoyed what you read here on my blog.

    NWA

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard of this book by Noah Lukeman. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to take a break from the writing books -- I get too addicted and find myself reading more about writing than actually writing :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's one that's been on my shelf for years. Same with all the books on writing.

    I should take your view of it, Tess. I much prefer learning to write by writing and working with others to improve my writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that book. Of course i love all of his reference books he is often straight to the point.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey there. I wonder, why did you stop following my blog? Did it perhaps bore you? If so, I'm sorry. Please tell me!! The writing conversations get hotter each day so I don't want you to miss my posts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's good to read you are having fun writing. I have not heard of this book, I will have a look out for it.
    Happy Scribbling
    Glynis
    http://www.glynissmy.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. enjoyed reading yor thoughts....

    god bless yu

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with Tess. I tend to get overwhelmed by the conflicting advice too. But this one is good to know about. 2 chapters? I can do that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know, right? Two chapters is cake.

    Thanks Lesllie and Glynis.

    Shigune, I tried to e-mail and explain.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, found you through Tess. Nice blog!

    ReplyDelete

All content copyright of the author. Please ask permission before re-printing.

Fair use quotations and links do no require prior consent of the author.