Friday, February 27, 2009

Dictionary

In the current economic climate we can't afford to be reckless with our money. Nor can we be reckless with our words. Economy of words means precisely what you think it means. It's the search for the precisely perfect word that will convey the most meaning and deepen your prose or your poetry. My friend, Dictionary, has helped me with this. From him I've learned words that have fallen into disuse that I wish would come back into use. I've learned meanings of words that have disappeared to the annals of memory. He has been almost as constant a companion as Notebook is and as Whiteboard once was. He is my teacher of economics, of life, and of language. He is master, I am nadir, apprentice, journeyman learner, uneducated compared to his nearly infinite wisdom in words.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All content copyright of the author. Please ask permission before re-printing.

Fair use quotations and links do no require prior consent of the author.